Dispensing Happiness

A good cook is like a sorceress who dispenses happiness.-Elsa Schiapirelli

That's me, the magical good cook.

Borrowing from my friend Dexygus, I've created my own food blog.

Read of my exploits in the kitchen! Salivate over the descriptions of fabulous desserts and savory meals I've concocted!

No, seriously...go ahead. It'll make my day.

Monday, November 14, 2011

A Renaissance meal for my Renaissance Man

.



Today was Matt's birthday & for once, he didn't say "I'll just have a nice piece of beef for dinner".

Instead, he wanted this dish (from James Peterson's Sauces); chicken cooked 'gently' in butter, then removed while onions get a similar treatment.
Stock is added & the chicken returns for a bit of a simmer.

Later, the chicken (skin-on, bones intact) rests while the broth is strained. To that, ginger (I used jarred paste. I don't mind the occasional short-cut here & there.), then saffron that'd been soaking in a bit of water, & finally mint.



Next, stir in some almond butter you've already made (having in fact read the recipe beforehand so there are no 'oh, crap!' surprises). Reduce what is now a sauce by a considerable amount.

MEANWHILE (one of my least-favorite cooking terms), you de-seed a pomegranate, which...let's face it, aside from the mess is kind of fun...as well as work green food coloring into marzipan & shape pieces to look like almonds.

Plate the chicken, pour over the sauce...& here comes another fun one: gilding the lily.
Or in this case, the chicken.



The recipe calls for gold leaf. I use gold luster dust. Sprinkle some over the food & through a straw, blow gently. Viola! Shiny.

2 Thoughts for food:

At 9:23 AM, Blogger Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

This is certainly a stunner!

 
At 9:25 PM, Blogger Stephanie said...

Bellini;

Thanks! It's an awfully pretty dish, isn't it?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home



[ Previous 5 Sites | Skip Previous | Previous | Next ]

This RingSurf Food~n~More Ring Net Ring
owned by Stephanie.

[ Skip Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | List Sites ]

eXTReMe Tracker